Friday, October 17, 2014

Don't Forget To Be Awesome

Until about three months ago, give or take, 
I didn't really drink coffee.

You know, like straight-up, black, plain-Jane coffee. 
As in, "Hello barista sir. I will have a coffee, please."

I have previously talked about my obsession with Starbucks,
but my pre-three-ish-months-ago order was all sorts of jacked-up weirdness,
with the root source of said weirdness being a latte.

I loved sitting in coffee shops, but not because they made coffee.
I bought a sweatshirt that said in all big, bold letters "COFFEE" even though I didn't drink coffee.
I would invite people to "meet me for coffee," but I wouldn't actually get coffee.

I know. It's all sorts of oxymoronic madness. 
But that's me, so just try to keep up.


And then I woke up one morning, and just like that, 
I decided I loved coffee.

I attribute this mostly to LakeGirl but not so much because she's awesome and my north star when it comes to guiding life's decision making,
but more so because she insisted I borrow her collection of Gilmore Girls DVDs.
And after watching obsessively in marathon fashion Lorelai caffeinate over and over and over,
 I figured, in a truly logical manner of course,
"Huh. Lorelai drinks coffee. Lorelai is awesome. Coffee must be awesome."

And yeah. I didn't pay much attention to the fact that Lorelai wasn't real. And in the end it didn't matter much because the equation was totally legit. Coffee is awesome.

Becoming a coffee drinker has had several unexpected bonuses:

1. I spend less money at Starbucks. High five to being all economical me.
2. On Tuesdays-Thursdays (the days I have decided I will no longer stop at Starbucks on the way to work), I have this fun new morning routine once I get to the office and it's really quite enjoyable. I drop my crap off in my office, turn on my computer and then head to the kitchen to make a few pots of coffee. One of my dream jobs has always been to be a waitress, and when I scurry around the kitchen changing coffee filters, and filling carafes and organizing the coffee mugs in the cupboard (and yes, this is part of the routine), I feel all domesticated and fabulous. Don't judge. One of the best parts of life is being able to find joy in the most ridiculous of little things. 
3. Because I make the coffee (see no. 2 above), the partner whose office is next to mine always stops by to wish me a happy morning and thank me for making the coffee. And this makes me smile. 
4. I have started a collection of exceptionally amazeballs coffee mugs. So yeah, this sort of makes the saving money part of No. 1 moot, but meh. The mugs make me happy. Especially this one.

And by the way, that is in fact a pizza grease stain on my jeans.
 Lunch was especially delicious today. 

2 comments:

  1. You don't even have to try, you're already AWESOME!!!

    I'm a cappuccino freak myself, although I do enjoy the occasional cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mug. And, yes, you are already awesome!!!!!!!!! Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete