Friday, February 6, 2015

It's the Little Things

Woof.

The last two weeks . . . 
Epic. Train wreck.

I had a legit mental breakdown earlier this week,
which involved an embarrassing display of neuroses and hyperventilation.
coupled with uncontrollable crying-
think Dawson-crying-on-the-pier-after-Joey-dumps-him-crying,
not cute-single-tear-glistening-on-your-cheek-crying.

But luckily I have a partner who could see the crazy about to pour out of me,
so he sneaked me into his office,
closed the door,
and let this all unfold there instead of in the hallway where I would have been subject to some sort of involuntarily commitment as a result . . .

In any event,
I've recovered . . . sometimes a good cry is just the best medicine, really.

And although I am still somewhat drowning with deadlines and not fully healthy and recovered from our most recent bout with the plague,
I am moving on.
One day at a time.

And I am taking stock of the awesomeness that does exist in the midst of this crazy ass storm that's festering in my world right now.



THIS. JUST. THIS.

My guardian angel rockstar of an assistant also noticed I was losing my mind,
and left this card on my desk,
along with flowers and copious amount of candy to cheer me up.

Rainbow glitter kitten-unicorn?!? Everything magical in one place.
She nailed it.

Other little things that make me happy...

1. I got a card in the mail from LG, who is fresh off a stint on jury duty.
It began,

Greetings + Salutations!

I am currently holed up in an armchair at Starbs on Wisconsin Ave, 
being cozy by the fireplace w/ a chai latte (not my usual bev, I know)
as I hide from jury duty (bane of my existence)
during our lunch break.
To pass the time, here is the list of positives I've come up w/ for jury duty.

One of the items on her awesomesauce list was this: 

The courthouse is pretty. Like really pretty.* Might have to instagram something.
* Not the jury room. That has paint peeling off in large chunks and is 10,000 degrees.

I love getting mail and mail that makes me smile and giggle even though I haven't done either of those things for a while is a total bonus.

2. Having my wonderful "friends" at Starbucks greet me by name in the morning.
This might not seem like much but I love little things like this that are instant sources of happiness. 
It makes me smile and I feel oddly giddy about it every time it happens.
Without fail.

3. Dr. Pepper. The end.

4. Jeans that trick others into thinking my butt is not in fact a 30-something year old mom butt. Shallow? Yes. But it's fun to feel cute.


There's more . . .  so much more. 
But now I'm smiling so mission accomplished.

Happy Friday. 
Hoping a whole lotta little things make you smile big today.

2 comments:

  1. Agree with you a good cry can be great medicine. Sorry to hear that you've been feeling rather stressed, sounds like you need a vacation to some where sunny and warm. This time of year can be the hardest all around. Hope things get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you've been feeling super stressed lately. I have been too, but for different reasons. (I've no doubt that my own breakdown is on it's way soon!) I'm glad you seem to work with such an amazing crew who cares about you like that, and takes care of you so well. Not everyone has that, and it really can make such a difference when you do.

    Sometimes a good cry to let it all out is necessary. I hope it was the start of making things seem a little less overwhelming.

    Hopefully you can take a vacay somewhere soonishly where you can just relax and not have the weight of the world on your shoulders for a little while. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete